Water leaks cause more than millions of dollars of damage to homes annually. Most water damages can actually be prevented by keeping a closer eye on certain areas in the home. Pay closer attention to the following areas and you may save thousands of dollars on repairs.
- Roof – Examine the roof for missing singles or loss of granules. Also, check the underside of the roof from the attic to see if there are water spots. That’s normally a good indication of a water leak that needs to be fixed.
- Windows and doors – Make sure caulking around doors and windows are in good shape and replace if necessary. Also check for streaks below windows or soft and swollen drywall. Make sure to replace any damaged siding, wood or drywall.
- Exterior walls – Make sure exterior walls are sealed to prevent water leaks. Seal any cracks or openings around pipes or vents.
- Gutters – Check that gutters and downspouts are clean and stable to ensure proper drainage. Also make sure that downspouts slope away from the house and carry water at least five-feet away from the foundation of the house.
- Yard – Again, make sure all water drains away from the home. Make sure sprinklers do not spray towards the house.
In the long run, doing simple maintenance on your home can save you a lot of money, but it will also help keep your family safe.
For more helpful ways to improve your home, visit the Money Pit.
Keeping your family and home safe and protected is job one at Florida Peninsula Insurance Company. We are one of Florida’s largest homeowners insurance companies offering multi-peril policies covering homes, condos and contents coverage in the form of renters insurance. The company insures more than 120,000 homes, condo and apartment units located throughout the state. For more information or to GET A QUOTE NOW, please call (866) 846-3060 or visit the “GET A QUOTE NOW” section on our website.
Currently rated by 0 people