Decorating for the holidays has been a tradition for families throughout the years. Unfortunately, some holiday decorations increase the risk of a home fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), U.S. fire departments respond to an average of 860 home structure fires caused by holiday decorations each year. These fires caused an annual average of 41 fire injuries and $13.4 million in property damage.
As you decorate your home this holiday season, follow these tips from the U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) to prevent a possible home fire.
- Inspect your holiday lights for damaged or frayed wiring before using.
- Keep your tree at least three feet away from heat sources including fireplaces, candles and heat vents.
- Do not connect more than three mini light sets for decorating.
- If you have a live tree, remember to water it every day. Dry trees can catch fire easily.
- Always turn off and unplug holiday lights before leaving home or going to sleep.
For more information on how to avoid a holiday decoration fire, click here
Thank you for visiting our blog
. Hopefully, you came away with some great home insurance and safety tips. Florida Peninsula Insurance Company
is one of Florida's leading homeowners insurance companies, insuring more than 130,000 home located in cities
like, Panama City, Orlando, Tallahassee, Port St. Lucie, West Palm Beach and Fort Myers. We strive to provide Florida homeowners with fast, fair, friendly service insuring their homes at competitive rates.
Currently rated by 0 people