During storm season, Florida is at high risk for massive power outages. These power outages can be frustrating and troublesome, especially if it lasts for a long time. According to The American Red Cross, there are steps you can take to minimize food loss and keep all members of your household as comfortable as possible.
The Red Cross recommends keeping the following supplies in your home:
- One or more coolers- Inexpensive Styrofoam coolers work well too.
- Ice – Surrounding your food with ice in a cooler or in the refrigerator will keep food colder for a longer period of time during a prolonged power outage.
- A digital quick-response thermometer – with these thermometers you can quickly check the internal temperatures of food to ensure they are cold enough to use safely.
- First aid kit
- Medications (7 day supply)
- Food- non-perishable, easy to prepare items
- Flashlight – Do not use candles during a power outage due to the risk of fire.
- Battery powered radio
- Extra batteries
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra Cash
- Keep your car’s gas tank full
For more information visit www.redcross.org
Keeping your family and home safe and protected is job one at Florida Peninsula Insurance Company. We are one of Florida’s largest homeowners insurance companies offering multi-peril policies covering homes, condos and contents coverage in the form of renters insurance. The company insures more than 120,000 homes, condo and apartment units located throughout the state. For more information or to GET A QUOTE NOW, please call (866) 846-3060 or visit the “GET A QUOTE" section on our website.
Currently rated by 0 people