If you’ve ever had a sunburn, you should know it’s nothing to mess around with. Most sunburns occur when people accidentally fall asleep on the beach or by the pool, not noticing they are baking in the sun. Other times, sunburns occur when people forget to re-apply throughout the day, assuming one application in the morning is enough.
Here are 5 quick and easy tips to help with both immediate and long-term sunburn relief:
1. Place a cool compress on irritated skin
2. Drink a lot of water and sports drinks such as Gatorade or Powerade. Once you are sunburned, your skin will be extremely dry and dehydrated. By replacing your lost body fluids, you are helping your skin to heal quicker.
3. After washing all affected areas with plain water, take a cup of cold milk and let sit out for about 5 minutes. Dip a cotton pad in the milk and apply gently on the skin. By letting it dry on your skin, it will form a thin protective layer which seals moisture in. After a few hours, wash off the milk and repeat the process.
4. Soak in a tub of water with oatmeal and lavender oil. Lavender, an essential oil, is an anti-inflammatory and should help to relieve pain. Oatmeal is known to help sooth dry and irritated skin.
5. Moisten a cloth with witch hazel, which has been shown to have long-lasting anti-inflammatory relief. Applying often provides temporary relief and could prevent peeling and flaking, a common side effect of sunburns.
Consistency is key; you will need to repeat these steps to have long term relief from your sunburn. To avoid a sunburn altogether, it is extremely important to follow the UV Protection Safety Guidelines. Remember, fun in the sun does not include sunburns!
Florida Peninsula is one of Florida's top homeowners insurance companies. We strive to combine the latest technology with old-fashioned fast, fair, and friendly customer service and claims processing. If you are in the market for a home insurance quote, give us a call at (877) 229-2244 or get a quote on our website.
Currently rated by 0 people