As summer draws to a close, back-to-school season has commenced. Amongst the hustle and bustle of back to school preparations, it is also important to keep safety a top priority. Should children be biking, walking, taking the bus, or driving to school it is important they all take precautions to greatly reduce their risk of harm. Here are a few safety tips for all types of transportation to and from school:
- Practice taking the bike route to and from school before their first day.
- Ride along the with traffic on the right side of the sidewalk.
- Be sure each child has a properly fitting helmet.
- Always walk on the sidewalk. If they are walking on a street without a sidewalk, be sure they walk facing the traffic.
- Look both ways, twice, before crossing the road.
- Stay alert and avoid distractions such as looking down at a phone or other handheld devices.
Taking the Bus:
- Be sure children know which bus and route they are supposed to be on.
- Stand several feet away from the curb.
- Never cross the street without looking both ways.
Driving Children to School:
- Always obey speed limits in school zones.
- Be aware of your school’s drop-off and pick-up procedures.
- Never pass and stop for a bus loading or unloading children.
- Follow the instructions of crossing guards.
- Stay vigilant and alert while driving.
We hope you and your children follow these precautions to ensure your children arrive and leave school safely. For more information and safety tips, visit the National Safety Council’s website. Have a wonderful and safe school year.
As one of Florida's largest home insurers, Florida Peninsula Insurance Company knows the importance of keeping your family and home safe and protected. We strive to provide efficient, cost-effective, peace-of-mind protection for our policyholders. To learn more about Florida Peninsula, please contact (877) 229-2244 or Get a Quote on our website.
Currently rated by 0 people